A big focus at our dojo is on keeping children safe through our bullying and predator prevention program Armour. Our students really love this program because it gives them the confidence to be able to protect themselves and to learn how to defend themselves.
So when we had a call from a Mom who had heard about our programs and wanted to put her older son with down syndrome into our classes, we thought about what we could do to really be able to serve hers and her son’s needs.
We started talking to KidsAbility who already had heard of our Armour program, and the Waterloo Region Family Network, and we decided to pilot a program with them for older teens and young adults of all abilities. This program focuses on safety, and preparing these students to be more independent from their parents and caregivers. When they are on their own, we want them to understand social situations, appropriate behaviour, as well as to be able to protect and defend themselves if the situation should ever arise. On top of all of this, they also learn karate and self-defense.
What are some of the amazing benefits we have seen from this program for our students?
- Improved physical capabilities- one of our students has actually been able to stop physiotherapy because of the gains she has made in this class!
- Increased balance, muscle development, strength and stamina
- A sense of accomplishment every time they learn a new move
- An understanding of what appropriate behaviours and interactions are in various social situations
- A sense of relief from parents and caregivers, that their children are improving every week at manoeuvering different social situations
- CONFIDENCE! Our students walk in to our studio (dojo) for our KidsAbility class with so much confidence, excited to start and happy to see all their friends. It has become a great class of friends, full of laughter and acceptance for everyone’s learning styles and abilities.
Our KidsAbility class runs Monday evenings at 7:30-8:30 in 12 week sessions. The next session will be starting Monday, January 8th and registration is open. Drop us a line for more information or to register for the class!